For years now Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday. It falls right in the middle of my favorite season and is celebrated with so many of my favorite foods: turkey, sweet potato pie, collard greens etc. It’s always celebrated at my house because I absolutely love to cook and I love having my mother, siblings, nieces and nephew all in one place. So far I’ve been lucky, every year brings something new to be thankful for. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had my share of setbacks this year but when I look back the plusses definetly outweigh the minuses. Here’s my personal list of things that I’m thankful for this year. Some are perennial, some are new.
1. My husband who supports my many dreams, aspirations and endeavors. He even accompanies me to weddings to take photos and acts as my field assistant as I travel about doing my research into graffiti culture.
2. My two stepsons. Kevin the 21 year old graphics design student who designs my promotional materials and DJ the 14 year old who, in five years, has not given me one moment of “step-mama drama”.
3. Speaking of mamas, my husband lost his mother nearly two years ago and I’m thankful for the relationship he has developed with my mother. Despite conventional wisdom mothers and sons-in-law can have a close, loving and respectful relationship.
4. I’m thankful that my mom is still alive, active and healthy now that I’ve reached an age where several of my peers have lost their parents or are dealing with their illnesses and disabilities.
5. Lastly I give thanks for the weddings and committment ceremonies that I have been trusted to create and officiate. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than being part of the start of a new family.
I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.