If you are getting married in the State of California you’ll be happy to know that California maariage license regulations are some of the easiest in the United States. For example:
- There is no blood test required.
- There is no waiting period. You can get married literally the minute after you receive your license.
- Only one witness is required. Make that 0 witnesses if you opt for the confidential license.
- You can get a confidential license if you and your partner currently live together. The confidential license cost less and there are no laws that specify how long you have to have been living together.
- Without a court order, the confidential license is not viewable by anyone other than the parties to the marriage
- You can start the application process online. This is a huge advantage for couples coming from out of state.
- The public license can be used in any county within the State of California.
California marriage licences are obtained from the County Clerk’s offices of California counties. The website for the Los Angeles County Clerk is www.lavote.net To obtain more details on the process of obtaining a California marriage license as well as to find the web addresses to the County Clerks of other Southern California counties, please visit the wedding license information section of my wedding officiant website at www.officiantlady.com
Three important points to remember are:
- The County Clerk initially issues to you a “license” to be married. The “certificate” of marriage is issued after your properly executed license is received and recorded by the County Clerk’s office.
- It is the responsibility of your wedding officiant to return your marriage license to the CountyClerk within 10 days of your wedding ceremony.
- Your marriage license is only valid for 90 days from the date of issue by the County Clerk.